Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Equestrian Trails: George Bush Park

I took a short trek from my house to the equestrian area of George Bush Park this afternoon. Once I turned off of Westheimer Parkway onto South Barker Cypress, the road got a bit bumpy (but at least it is paved!). There is a very sharp left into the parking lot, almost a U-turn.

The parking lot looked like a 2-horse trailer would be easily maneuverable, but I wouldn't want to try to turn a 6-horse around there, especially if there are lots of cars from hikers/bikers in the lot.



Because of all the rain last weekend, the unpaved trail was too mucky to explore very far.


Based on the little bit I saw from the trailhead + what I see driving down I-10 & Highway 6 + the view from Microsoft Virtual Earth, it looks like there is a good mix of wooded bits and sunny areas. I think it might be a nice place to trail ride (or hike) and "groove with nature" (I did find a clematis crispa, aka blue jasmine, at the trailhead). Just be advised that the nature might include deer and feral hogs. And joggers and cyclists.

Another thing to consider is that the trailhead borders the shooting range. At 1:00 on a Tuesday afternoon, it was fairly quiet, but it may be different on evenings and weekends.

No comments:

Post a Comment